The tips below are activities, tools, and resources my husband used with our sons to further encourage the truths found in Conversation #5. Feel free to pass them along to your husband and in turn, if he has something valuable to add to the list, please comment and share the idea with the rest of our 5 Conversations blog community.
Dad:2:Dad tips (by Keith Courtney)
Activities and resources I used to teach principles of godliness:
- I taught each boy about:
– prayer ? why important to pray, how to pray, the importance of a balanced prayer (ACTS, for adoration/praise,
confession, thanksgiving, and supplication (for others and then for self))
– Bible study ? reasons it is important, how to do it, etc.
– other key Christian disciplines
- Read Bible and prayed with each boy when they were younger, and reminded them to do so on their own when they got older
- Required that each boy continue to participate in church and youth group activities, including weekly youth Bible studies, annual mission trips, and youth camps) even as many of their friends started to fall away.
- Regardless of their ages, I would ask each boy what they learned in youth Sunday School class, midweek youth Bible Study, church, their personal Bible Study
- I trained each boy regarding Biblical worldview issues, including reading resources to and with them, and attending Biblical worldview conferences
For several years when the boys and I would eat breakfast around the table, I would discuss with them a characteristic that God desires that we exhibit. (I have been unable to locate the original source for the handout I used, so if you know the source please comment with it. I must have picked it up at a parenting seminar or conference and it has been a fabulous tool to further invest in the spiritual lives of our children and emphasize principles of godliness.)
31 Christian attributes to pray for your children:
1. Pray for a spirit of Humility.
“The willingness to submit” (James 4:10)
2. Pray for a spirit of Reverence.
“The fear of the Lord.” (Proverbs 9:10)
3. Pray for a spirit of Purity.
“A desire to be clean.” (Matthew 5:8)
4. Pray for a spirit of Purpose.
“A wisdom to set goals.” (Proverbs 4:25)
5. Pray for a spirit of Simplicity.
“A lifestyle uncluttered.” (Romans 12:8)
6. Pray for a spirit of Commitment.
“A dedication to the ‘cause’.” (Joshua 24:15)
7. Pray for a spirit of Diligence.
“A willingness to work hard.” (II Peter 1:5)
8. Pray for a spirit of Servanthood.
“The ministry of helps.” (Galatians 6:9,10)
9. Pray for a spirit of Consistency.
“The quality of faithfulness.” (James 1:8)
10. Pray for a spirit of Assurance.
“A depth of faith.” (Hebrews 10:22)
11. Pray for a spirit of Availability.
“A willingness to go.” (Isa. 6:8)
12. Pray for a spirit of Loyalty.
“A zeal for fidelity.” (Ruth 1:16)
13. Pray for a spirit of Sensitivity.
“Openness of heart.” Luke 10: 30-37)
14. Pray for a spirit of Compassion.
“Love in action.” (Mark 8:1,2)
15. Pray for a spirit of Tenderness.
“A willingness to weep.” (II Kings 22:19)
16. Pray for a spirit of Maturity.
“The capacity to grow.” (Hebrews 5: 12-14)
17. Pray for a spirit of Holiness.
“Christ-like behavior.” (I Peter 1:16)
18. Pray for a spirit of Reliability.
“A depth of dependability.” (I Corinthians 4:2)
19. Pray for a spirit of Revelation.
“Learning to listen.” (Ephesians 1:15,18)
20. Pray for a spirit of Denial.
“A sacrifice to surrender.” (Luke 9:23)
21. Pray for a spirit of Confidence.
“A baptism of boldness.” (Philipians 4:13)
22. Pray for a spirit of Integrity.
“The quality of truthfulness.” (Romans 12:17)
23. Pray for a spirit of Repentance.
“A willingness to change.” (Luke 3:8)
24. Pray for a spirit of Trust.
“A fearless reliance.” (Psalm 125:1)
25. Pray for a spirit of Submission.
“Choosing to yield.” (Ephesians 5:21)
26. Pray for a spirit of Teachability.
“A quality of meekness.” (Titus 3:2)
27. Pray for a spirit of Prayer.
“A longing to wait.” (Isa. 40:31)
28. Pray for a spirit of Unity.
“A respect for others.” (I Corinthians 1:10)
29. Pray for a spirit of Restoration.
“A ministry of healing.” (Isa. 61:1,2)
30. Pray for a spirit of Authority.
“A capacity to command.” (Matthew 16:19)
31. Pray for a spirit of Generosity.
“The desire to give.” (Matthew 10:8)